Building And Planning

The Shire of Cuballing Building Officer is Mr Darryle Baxter. Darryle is available at the Shire Office on a weekly rotation (Tuesday)  between 8:30am and 4:00pm or alternatively  contact him directly on 0428 836 827.

Building Licences

If you propose to erect any building or out-building, alter or make additions to any existing building or outbuilding, demolish or remove any building or outbuilding, construct a swimming pool or erect a patio, pergola or the like then you need to apply for town planning development and building approval.

Building applications should include two copies of:

  • Site Plan
  • Working Drawings
  • Plumbing and electrical detail
  • Specifications

All application forms are available from the Shire Office.

An application fee is payable when the plans are lodged.

When your plans and specifications are passed you will be issued with a Building Licence. Also you will be advised of any conditions that apply to your application.

Building Setbacks (Townsite)

As a general rule no building shall be constructed within a distance of 7.5m from the road and rear boundary. Minimum side boundaries are set by a complicated formula however generally no building shall be erected within 1.5m of any other lot boundary. These setbacks may be reduced by a decision of Council - if there is a compelling argument put forward.

All buildings must be at least 1.22m clear of septic tanks and at least 1.8m clear of leach drains.

Building Setbacks (Rural)

No building shall be constructed within a distance of 20 metres from the road boundary of your lot and no building shall be erected within 20 metres of any other lot boundary. A reduction is setbacks may be permitted if it is shown to the satisfaction of Council that for reasons of topography or lot configuration the prescribed setbacks cannot be adhered to. All buildings must be at least 1.2 metres clear of septic tanks and at least 1.8 metres clear of leach drains.

Many rural blocks have building envelopes created at the time of subdivison. Should you wish to relocate this envelope, approval will be required. A detailed application in writing, including a clear scaled plan, should be submitted.

Fences And Water Tanks

No application is necessary for the erection of a standard fence or rainwater tank.

Water Requirements

Outside the Water Corporation area, all buildings intended for residential use must be provided for the catchment and storage of rainwater in suitable tanks. Otherwise a bore of a reticulated supply of portable water is to be provided and connected to the house. When submitting plans for the erection of a dwelling house be sure to indicate from where you will be drawing your water supply.

Private Swimming Pool

All private swimming pools are to be approved and licenced by the Shire and are to be enclosed by a child-proof fence of not less than 1.2 metres in height, incorporating a self-closing and locking gate. Swimming pools are to comply with the Local Government Act Building Regulations 1989 as amended and the fences and gates must be inspected prior to water being added to the pool. An inspection of all private swimming pools is carried out at least once every four years.

For further information contact Mr Darryle Baxter or obtain information from the Department of Housing and Works swimming pool web page.